Monday, March 16, 2009

Coloong Dalag Hunt [March 15, 2009]

I told myself that I will focus on dalags instead of Apahaps. That's after 3 sundays of zero Apahap landings. I almost got one a couple of weeks back. On March 8, I hooked a really big Apahap in Aling Nene's pond. I was using the Revo Inshore with 10lb Fireline mounted on a Shimano Clarus rod. The lure I was using was a 4' firetiger plastic swimbait from Storm. I got over-confident and only used 2 feet of 19lb Sufix Synergy Mono as a leader. After a few casts on the hot spot, I got a heavy strike and three fast runs . . . and then a snap. I lost the fish and the lure. It easily cut through my 19lb mono leader. My estimate is that the fish that struck my large lure could reach a double-digit.

Oh well, yesterday, I was trying to convince myself not to cast for apahaps anymore and tried dalag fishing instead. I was using Bong's b-new spinners, which were awesome, by the way.

Anyway, on the fourth cast, I got a nice dalag. It struck the spinner and dove into the side of the dike. The fish seems to be burrowing on the muddy bank.



Ok fine, I failed to resist the urge. I had my 7ft Berkley rod with a 5601SSC3 loaded with 15lb Powerpro. It had a large plastic swimbait ready for you know what. After a couple of hours or half-hearted dalag hunting, I gave in and casted around with the large gear. Unfortunately, I was not able to get any strikes. :-)

On my next trip, I would probably try dory (Pangasius), carp, and/or pacu fishing in Caliraya, Laguna. I may be able to fish for dalags as well. I heard dalags there are enormous. I just have to find a free weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment