Monday, August 24, 2015

Jigheads, and jaguars

I was bored and had nothing to do so I decided to visit the nearest and most relaxing fishing hole that I know -- Aling Nene's pond in Coloong. My goal is to catch a few buwan-buwan or the local tarpon. My lure is a soft plastic on a small 4-gram jighead.

When I got there, the wind was awful and casting light lures was difficult. At around noon, the wind started to die down and I was able to fish properly. Unfortunately, the tarpons were not cooperating, I got a lot of bumps and nibbles but they refuse to swallow the bait. 

Instead of casting far out, I switched to bouncing jig head near the banks. On the first cast, I immediately got a bite. It was a jaguar cichlid. I think it was not a native specie but an introduced pet that managed to propagate uncontrolled in the ponds. 

I didn't even have to cast far out. I just flicked the lure a few feet parallel to the bank, let it sink, and then bounced the lure at the bottom. Every time I cast,  jaguar takes the lure.







I lost count of how many I landed. They are not hard fighting fish but on an ultralight gear, they are fun to catch.

4 comments:

  1. Good morning sir!

    Sir, I am Spencer See, I also go fishing at ANP when there's time. Do you think these Jaguar cichlids would bite on crankbaits or soft plastic worms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Spencer. Yes, they sometimes bite small cranks and jerkbaits. They kind used for rockfish. Also finesse worms (for dropshot fishing) are effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh okay, thank you very much sir for replying to my post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I ask what kind of soft plastic lure you used? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete