Monday, May 18, 2009

Zambales [May 17, 2009]

I went to Zambales this weekend supposedly to join JL for some salt fishing. Because we are unable to find a bankero, our plan did not materialize.

Since I still have the whole Sunday before returning Manila, I decided to try dalag fishing. I started early at around 6am and then went back home at 8am. It was so hot and the water level is really high. According to locals, the water level rised due to the recent storm Emong. Because of this, Haruans are difficult to find as they are "kalat" (roaming the flooded fields). At the same time, they are well fed as they have access to various preys. In the morning, I only caught 3 small ones at around 200 grams each. Didn't take pictures as they a bit small.

At around 2pm, I went back to try again. This time, I got lucky. I caught three. I finally caught my 2kg Haruan. This could be the cousin of the one that got away last Holy week. Payback was so sweet! :D

This one is about a quarter kilo.

After a half an hour, I got a biggie. It struck at the edge of the water. Literally jumping at the lure. The hookup occurred over land. Around 1.1 to 1.5 kg:



And finally, my biggest haruan. I believe this is more than 2kilograms. I didn't have my scale as I loaned it for the Coloong tourney. I didn't want to bring it home to weigh it because it could stress the fish and it could die. A local saw me landing it and insisted that I bring it home. I complied by bringing it inside the car. When he left, I brought it out of the car and released it. I feel much better knowing that it is back in the water. When I get back, I can try and catch it again. Hopefully, it will grow even bigger.






2 comments:

  1. men, nagmukha kang totoy sa laki nung dalag na nahuli mo! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo nga e, nagulat din ako. Pinakawalan ko rin. Sana dumami pa.

    ReplyDelete