Monday, April 6, 2015

Summer Jigging, Stick-baiting, and Casting

During the long holyweek break, I had the chance to try out a couple of not-so-new gears that I recently acquired. One is a used Ryoga Bay Jigging 2020HL matched with a Daiko Spear light jigging rod. The Ryoga was sent by a friend and colleague from Japan. We were able to get it at a bargain price. The only addition that I made was a used RCS knob from Hookpro tackle. The line was an old PE 3 line from an old reel.

The other is a battle-scarred Saltiga Z4500H matched with my old Majorcraft Giant Killing 76M. The reel is a beat up reel that has practically seized up because of rust and salt. I think it was dunked in saltwater for a long time and was never opened or cleaned afterwards. The externals are pretty bad but surprisingly except for 4 destroyed bearings, a seized up knob, and a chewed up oscillation gear, the remaining critical internals are still in good condition. Talk about quality gear. It took me a couple of days and some parts to get it back into running condition. (I will write another post regarding this reel.)

Maundy Thursday, I took the kayak and the Saltiga for some test stickbaiting. I tied on a 60-gram Tailwalk Gunz and casted near the pilings next to the pier. It was either the lure was extremely effective or I was extremely lucky that I managed to get a 2kg pargo in just half an hour of casting. The rod and reel was a beast and plucked the fish like it was not even there.

Friday, no fishing according to oldies. Then on Saturday, I chartered my old boat man and went out for first time jigging. We left the shore at around 4am and cruised to the spot for about an hour. I got my fish finder and mounted it into the boat. Unfortunately, I charged the battery the night before using a motorbike charger that I got really cheap. Instead charging the battery, it actually discharged the battery further. After just 15 minutes of operation, the battery died and we were left without a fishfinder. Luckily, we managed to find a decent structure on the first stop. I tied on a 60-gram Ima Ganpeki and jigged really slow. The lure did not disappoint and a nice trev pulled drag from the Ryoga within minutes.  The Daiko was phenomenal and worth every cent. I had no idea that jigging would be so much fun with the right gear. We lost the spot during the fight and had no takers after that.




We scoured the area but did not find any fish. I decided to blind cast while drifting hoping to attract some trevs. Instead of a trevally, a Blue Runner bit the bait. The fight was decent but the fish was no match for the rod and reel.


I decided to go home at around 9am because it was getting too hot and jigging blind was no longer fun.

Easter Sunday schedule was fully packed. We were supposed to leave after lunch after all the processions, beach and other errands. By 10, I sneaked out with my kayak and went to my favorite estuary. Casted my lucky popper while the tide was rising.  I chanced upon a school of red snappers near the mouth of the estuary and caught 4 table-sized beauties. By 1pm, I was back home washing the kayak, rod, reels, and lures. At around 4pm, I was driving back to Manila.


I'll be back with a better battery for my fishfinder. I know there are other big monsters out there that are eager to take a nice jig. Maybe this May. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment