Monday, March 2, 2015

Gary Loomis Edge EFX 714-1 Update 2

Almost 3 weeks since my last testing of this rod, I went back to Pantabangan to try and perform another set of field testing. But this time, I did a little modification of the rod.

I said during my last update that I will upgrade the guides to Fuji Titanium SIC Guides and I did just that. It sounds a bit crazy but I did it for the love of science and curiosity. Anyway, I got the rod for a great price and adding $70 for the Titanium guides will still make the rod cheaper than it's actual market price.

Anyway, I ordered the following Fuji guides Plat Japan:
  • 2 x FUJI T-LSG 7 
  • 1 x FUJI T-LNSG 8 
  • 4 x FUJI T-LSG 6J 
  • 1 x FUJI T-LNSG 10 
  • 1 x FUJI T-LNSG 12 
  • 1 x FUJI T-FST 5.5-1.8
The guides I ordered were correct except for the 4x T-LSG 6J and 2 x FUJI T-LSG 7. The sizes I got were 2mm bigger than I had imagined. I had to order smaller replacement guides. It's a good thing that Plat was very accommodating with these kinds of requests.

While waiting for the new guides, I replaced the tip with FUJI T-FST 5.5-1.8. The stock tip is just way overkill and overweight. I think that tip is killing the blank's sensitivity. You can see the side by side picture as the stock guide dwarfs the Fuji guide. Also, when take a close look at the stock tip, you will see that the end of slightly crooked support arms are welded to the tube but the squared end is protruding on top of the tube, which can snag your knot during cast especially when you are using braid to leader connections.

On the left is the Titanium-framed Sic tip from Fuji and on the  right is the stock Edge tip with stainless frame and rings.
When I replaced the tip, I immediately noticed that the difference in response of the rod tip. The usual "whippy" action when swinging the tip from side to side was reduced considerably. With the new titanium tip, I would say it is almost as crisp as my KS' Labo and NRX.

To find out the change in real fishing scenario, I went back to Pantabangan using the same reel, same line, same hooks, sinkers, and worms but this time, the rod tip is different. I was blown away as difference is very evident. From zero bass on my last outing, I manage to get about 12 and this is when bass fishing was extremely tough, the wind was howling, and the water's too cold. The fishing was so tough that my boat mate got skunked. The difference was sensitivity --- the rod was like 5 times more sensitive compared to when it was using the stock NFC tip. When I tried the rod at 2 in the morning, with the moon as the only source of light, the sensitivity was outstanding. I can feel the subtle bumps and thumps from brush and rocks and even small bass. I even managed to catch a couple of bass. When we got to the peacock bass lake the following morning, I tied on a small crappy-style spinner bait around 1/4 oz in weight, Amazingly, I can feel the subtle vibration of the blades like they were huge spinners on steroids. This is the type of sensitivity that I did not find on my other rods.

What does this mean exactly? For me, it shows that Gary Loomis is still the man when it comes to designing bass fishing blanks and the Edge EFX IM blank is no exception. It's just that the cheap guides are killing it's sensitivity.

I can't wait for the remaining replacement guides especially  the T-LSG 5 to arrive. I am certain that these will reduce the tip weight even further which I hope will increase the sensitivity further.


No comments:

Post a Comment