Monday, June 30, 2014

Storing a 13ft Ocean Kayak Prowler

Before I bought the kayak, my wife had been nagging me about the issue on storage -- where will I store the kayak given our limited space. The kayak is 13.4 feet. My old kayak was only 11.
Initially, I was thinking of hanging it on the wall by it's sides -- using a couple of pulleys. I had to abandon the idea because of the the effort it takes to rig a pulley system and the effort in hanging and bringing it down.
Another idea was hanging it using a wall hanger/rack. I also abandoned the idea when I got a quote from a steel fabricator -- I was quoted P1000 each for bare unpainted racks -- I would need at least two -- then I have to buy the rigging, primer and paint, etc.
After a few days of research, I found out that the best way to store a kayak is standing up. And here's the result. Total cost -- P150 for 2 pairs of buckles and 4 pcs of stoppers. I have an old belt from a broken ratchet -- I think this came from a nearby Ukay.
I think my wife was pleased with the result.

Parked the kayak standing up near the stairs. The vertical clearance to the ceiling was perfect.

I strapped it in the middle using an old ratchet belt. I bought a pair of plastic snap buckles to secure it.

Bolted the straps into the wall using tox and washer+screws.



No comments:

Post a Comment