Saturday, May 19, 2012

Hunt for Mangrove Jacks Part 1

May 13, 2012 Sunday: I got owned

It was supposed to be hot and dry until the end of May and sometimes up to the middle of June. But this time summer somehow ended early. It was cloudy most of the day and it rains the entire afternoon. The rain was ok but the lightning is not something you want when fishing with a graphite rod on your hand.

I normally fish my favorite mangrove jack spot using a Kayak. But because our trip to my parent's home town was just an overnight-er, I left my Kayak behind. Fishing from shore, I have only one choice --- haruan. Unfortunately, by May, my Haruan spot had dried up and fishing it was not really an option. I had no choice but to fish the river. But I always thought that the river is not fishable from shore. I had to find a way to get to one of the banks to fish it. Took my 50cc Suzuki scooter and drove all over to ask for directions. Finally, I was able to find an access foot path where I can drive my scoot to one of the river's rocky banks.

This bank is not an ordinary bank. This is where I caught my 3.5kg MJ way back. I was so excited and scared at the same time. If fishing the spot from a kayak is hard, fishing it from the shore is suicide. But an addict is an addict and I had to try it. So, late afternoon took a 2pc BC rod, my favorite reel, a backpack with a few of my favorite lures and drove my scoot to the spot. I haven't left our street and rain started to pour. What the heck,I said to my self, I still get to fish - wet or dry. After a kilometer or so of driving, I parked, rigged my rod and reel with my WTD lure and scanned the water. It was low tide and it was raining. Topwater when raining might not be a good idea, I thought. Still, I casted near the bank and a strike. IT almost dove under the rocks. Good thing my drag was almost locked. I played the fish for a couple of minutes or so and landed it. Shy of a kilo and I was elated. Not bad.


After the catch, no more takers so I decided to switch to a bigger lure - a bigger WTG. I played with the lure for about an hour or so and still no bites. Then it rained really hard and the lightning were getting really close. I was soaking wet and decided to call it a day. But before I hopped into my bike, I casted a couple more. On my last cast, the rain all of a sudden turned into a drizzle and just as I was about to give up, a massive strike.  It was an unexpected panic driven strike. The fish pulled a amazing amount of line. I knew right that instant that it was a beast- a mamaw that has the muscle to punish me and my gear. And that's what it exactly did. It was taking a lot of line and it was nearing snags so I decided to increase my drag. After three to four clicks of increase in drag, the line went limp. The fish disappeared near the mangroves and with it was my favorite WTD lure with the 35lb leader still attached to it. My 20lb main line was just too light for this fish. It broke near the leader to main line connection.

I went home in shame and had a whole week of shallow sleep. It was a mamaw and it owned me. Again. I kept on telling myself, I want a rematch. And that's exactly what I got the following weekend.

1 comment: