Monday, March 26, 2012

Eging (Squid Fishing) in Subic

Together with my wife, kids, and our dog, we visited my father-in-law in Subic last weekend. My other agenda was also to do some eging. My goal was to visit my father in law, drop off my kids and wife, have lunch and be in the fishing spot by 1pm until 3pm -- the perfect time for eging according to the tide table.

We left Manila at around 8am, reached Subic and 10:30 and then did our visit. But then, I was requested to do some other errands, like buying a beach chair --- I was using my trusted pickup truck where the chair will fit. Anyway, after so much running around Subic, I finally was able to reach the spot at around 1:30. Not too bad. But then, the wind was howling and I have been getting a lot of wind knots on my spinning reel. After a lot of clipping line (I had to reduce the amount of braid to prevent back lashes), I was able to get some eging action.

First lure, a size 2.5 blue Yozuri lure, which was my favorite. Four or five casts later, I snagged an abandoned fishing net. Poachers! After tugging the lure to unfree it, the jags pulled from the body of the lure. It can still be salvaged, a thick coat of epoxy should fix it. I tied on a Yamashita in Pink. Size 3.0. The sink rate was about 3sec/meter which was ok. After about half a dozen casts, I got a take. It's a good sized squid, probably 250gms. I had no net at that time and when I lifted the squid, the lure pulled free and the squid fell on a rock near the water. It gave a big push by squirting water and ink and it managed to land on the water and escape.

Anyway, at least I know that pink was the color they like. Tried a few more casts and a got solid take while the jig was almost near the surface. It was a strong pull and I knew it was a bigger squid. I can hear my reel's drag clicking. By the way, when eging, you need to set the drag low so when you get a strike, and make a hook set, the jig will not rip the tentacles out from the squid. Unknown to me, there were three small kids watching me as I was eging. When I lifted the squid from the water, it made a really strong squirt of water and ink into the sky that it literally rained with blank ink. The kids ran screaming while trying to avoid getting inked. It was hilarious.


I went on with casting until 3pm and lost the pink Yamashita jig due to a snag. I also lost a JDM jig due to a snag. I plan on getting cheaper jigs so that I when I lose them, it wouldn't be too expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment